One Pot Spag Bol
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 4 shortcut bacon rashers, trimmed, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 600g beef mince
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 x 410g cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 250g spaghetti
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Extra chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Grated parmesan, to serve
Heat oil in a large heavy-based flameproof casserole dish
or non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat (see note).
Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally,
for 3 minutes or until onion starts to soften. Add bacon.
Cook for 3 minutes or until golden. Add garlic. Stir to
Add mince to dish. Cook, breaking up mince with a wooden
spoon, for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Stir in tomato
paste, tomatoes, stock and thyme sprigs. Cover. Bring to the
boil. Add spaghetti. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer,
uncovered, for 15 minutes or until spaghetti is tender and
sauce has thickened, stirring mixture every 5 minutes.
Remove pot from heat. Remove and discard thyme sprigs. Add parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Serve topped with extra chopped parsley and parmesan.